I didn't understand this whole "winter blues" thing until recently. You just do your thing and eventually winter falls into spring. Now that I'm home with my kids and becoming increasingly afraid of the snow I understand the winter blues. I went to Julia's Christmas play and wiped out in the parking lot. If that wasn't bad enough I couldn't get up! Fortunately a friend pulled a car up so I could pull myself in. I NOW HAVE THE WINTER BLUES.
I decided that winter is definately harder than summer for someone with young kids and someone with a disability. I also decided that I wasn't giving into it. I started making conscious decisions to make winter as good as it can be. I still can't wait for spring and walk gingerly with my cane, but I've come up with a few ideas to lift my spirits during these "house ridden" days.
1) Take vitamin D suppliments
2) Try a new recipe for a really healthy supper. Shakes things up a little and adds some extra nutrients to your body
3) Try a new recipe for a really unhealthy dessert.
4) Start a new project that gets you really excited.
5) Get outside for even a little bit each day. I'm taking Julia's bus pick up and drop off as an excuse for me (and Tee if she's awake) to get some fresh air and just clear my mind.
6) Work out. I'm doing a new video right now that's really hard, but I just remind myself that the longer I do it inside when it's freezing the more the results by the time spring comes and I can start walking around.
7) Family indoor picnic. Make something fun that the kids will like and eat it on the floor with a fun movie.
These are a few ideas. Now I want to hear from you! What are some of your ideas to beat these winter blues? Get creative! I'm going to be giving away a prize. I haven't decided what it will be because it will depend on who wins. It will be a personalized prize! It might be one of my nameplates for your child, or some new jewlery I've been making or maybe a monogrammed pillowcase for your little one.
How to enter:
1. Leave a comment on my page with a suggestion for beating the winter blues.
2. For an additional entry, post this giveaway on your facebook, then leave another comment on my blog letting me know you did that.
3. For another entry, subscribe to my blog, then leave another comment on my page letting me know you did.
I will announce the winner next Monday!
our winters are really long here... some years it feels like the majority of the year!! dark at 3:30pm and not light again till 10:30 am... some days it feels like I take Madi to school in the dark and pick her up in the dark!! And its COLD here too.. sometimes there can be weeks without getting the kids "really" outside.. at -40 its just do darn cold!!
ReplyDeleteBut on the plus side we get a lot of son.. when its up!! So I make sure to open all my blinds and let the sun shine in!! Another fun thing we do is go through the drive thru at Timmies and get coffee and timbits and go out for drives on the ice roads around town ( i know.. not everyone can do this!! ) but its fun.. and a lot of times we will see people kite skiing!!
We also go to Walmart and play with the toys in the toy section!! Ahh the little things!!
Anne
i am also a "follower" now!!
ReplyDeleteI didn't even know you had a blog! FUN! :)
ReplyDeleteHere's my tip for beating winter...but don't tell my hubby k...I like to crank the heat in the house, change into summer atire, make a smoothie (or have some ice cream) and watch Lilo and Stitch...mmm Hawaii...Enjoy!
Also a follower!
ReplyDeleteAND it's posted on my facebook :D Things I accomplish when the Mister sleeps!
ReplyDeletePlan a trip to Israel, so over those long winter months you have something to look forward to.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you had a blog, yay for Facebook links :D I'm a follower now too.
ReplyDeleteWe definitely get the winter blues out here too -40 and a wind that never ends ugh . . . not fun at all.
I know some of my favourite things to do when the winter days feel long are
1) talk with a friend, doesn't matter if it's skype, in person, phone, or even FB chat there's nothing like connecting with someone else.
2) Writing - I'm a nerd, I love to write whether it's fiction, research or blogging meself
3) When my health is bad there's nothing like cuddling up where it's warm with a cup of tea, lots of pillows and squishables, and turning on a classic movie or comedy and indulging in some laughter or nostalgia.
1. I'm following you now
ReplyDelete2. If I win, can you send it to New Zealand?
3. Better yet, can you come to New Zealand? ;)
Now on to some Anti-Winter Blues Ideas:
1. Pretend you are coming to New Zealand (it's summer right now! Pick a few towns or places you'd like to visit, get reasons why you'd like to go there, pick some adventure activities you'd like to do, some foods you'd like to try, and think of what you would do to surprise me if you came, and what we would do, price out flights and pick an airline, pick what you would love to order on the 12 hour flight from North America to New Zealand (if you ever had a choice!) and what 3 movies you would watch on the flight.
2. Get out all your old Rankin Family cd's and tapes, and have a Kitchen Ceilidh with your family and a couple friends or relatives, and get everyone to bring an instrument (or air guitars work) and put on the music, and teach everyone how to speak (and sing) in gaelic!! And dress in something celtic!
3. Build a fort, bring flashlights and pillows and snacks and tell kids stories
4. Make an early Advent Calendar, homemade for the coming December month, with little items and surprises in 25 different bags and decorate the outside of them. You can google various ideas to do this. And then research the meaning of Advent and how you can then share something nice each day to your girls. Then it's all ready before you get into the rushed busy season of Advent/Christmas!
5. Get on skype and skype with your giddy friend over in New Zealand and we can have a New Leaf party, singing High Five songs, and the Mint Leave Man story, and reminisce on stupider days of our past :) And then, of course, turn over a new leaf.
6. Have a Winter Green Day or Winter Pink Day, or Winter Yellow Day or Winter Purple Day and colour all your water you drink that colour, make some snacks with that colour, and wear clothes that colour and ban all blue from your house and meals and wardrobe attire for that day :) Or even a Ban-Blue Day or Week (to combat the winter blues you're feeling)
Okay, that's all I can think of!
So this should give me 2 entries! (following you, and giving you some ideas)
e-hugs from New Zealand!
Ali Lettuce
P.S. Dress up like a lettuce and then think of me :)
Oh Dear Alison ... you know me too well.
ReplyDeleteWinter blues...I like to beat it with chocolate. Wait, I like to beat ANYTHING with chocolate. lol.
ReplyDeleteIMO, if you can't beat them, join them. Get out in the snow and enjoy it...which I have YET to do...maybe I should take my own advice...
Strange ideas for you.
ReplyDelete1. Do the Cha Cha slide with kids...i do it every day now with my daycare kids
2. work on a really hard puzzle if you are inside
3. watch some kids go sliding or sledding on a snow covered hill...or sit in a garbage bag and shoot down the hill yourself...i did it and it rocked
4. Sing really loud and off-key in a warm shower to forget how cold it is outside
5. Stand on your front porch and count the cars going by...or stand on a friends porch who lives in a busy neighbourhood...lol
I dont know what Im doing. you could visit me thats always fun or make a snow man and kamryns favorite is to bury mommy in the snow. ... do
ReplyDeleteI win?!
Keep hosting your wonderful parties! You don't have to get out and there are never blue feelings those mornings. Elisabeth
ReplyDeleteTo get rid of winter blues, I look for someone else who is going through a hard time and make a meal for them. The kids make pictures or write letters and we take it to them. If we can't take it then we find out who is going that way and get them to drop it off.
ReplyDeleteAnother way to cheer up is having a movie night with the family complete with popcorn in the TV room. Line up the chairs for the movie theater effect or dress up as if you are going to a ball or a hockey game and pick your movie accordingly.