So, I've been thinking. What's new, eh? lol. I've been thinking about people with disabilities and handicaps. I guess I'm looking for an honest opinion. The truth.
I remember driving down the street and seeing someone who walked very awkwardly. I'm not sure what was wrong, but it was obvious by the way they moved that something was wrong. I felt so much pride for that person. The strength it takes to do things independently. To walk down a street making themselves visible to so many different opinions.
Sometimes I wonder what people think when they see someone who walks, talks, looks different. It's like something that is personal, a piece of who they are, is open to anyone with seeing eyes. What do you think when you see someone who is deformed? What do think when you see someone walking abnormally? What do you think when you see someone with a cane?
I really want to know. Do you wonder what happened to them? Do you think you are better? Do you try to avoid it? Do you think they are brave? Do you wonder who they are as a person? Do you ask people around you if they know what happened?
Do you think they are very beautifully made, but avoid inviting them to things? Does it make you uncomfortable all together? Does it make you feel good about yourself to help them?
I know that's a lot of questions. Just looking for the truth. I don't want to hear a politically correct answer. I want to know what you think. I was talking to a girl I see fairly frequently. I don't know her that well, but her movements show that something has happened. I asked her right out. I saw her blush and react as though she was embarrassed. Sometimes you just don't know what the right thing to do is.
I've found myself asking a lot of these questions too.
ReplyDeleteNext week I go back to class and this time, in order to make the most of my time and energy, I'll be attending in a wheelchair.
Personally, I've gotten a lot of responses from people that range from polite questions to outright rudeness. It all depends on the people involved both the one asking and the one being asked.
As a general rule, I prefer people asking questions - respectfully - rather than stay in ignorance. However, I'm still really struggling with my pride over the fact that I need the wheels to be the best possible student.
Not an easy question and you certainly aren't alone in your thoughts.
I usually do wonder about their lives and struggles. I would never ask unless it was someone I see on a regular basis (ie. church) Having had room mates who sometimes had struggles walking I find that I wonder how brave the person is being. Are they in pain with each step? I think they are so much stronger and braver than I would be. Another part of me is distracted with worry that my son will make a loud comment not knowing that he shouldn't.(he doesn't have a filter yet =) Although when my children have asked questions out loud I have always found that the people were really great about answering. They have asked people, "Cool, do you like having wheels?" Things like this...It has opened a discussion with my kids to talk about how God makes us each different. All with different struggles, talents, likes, dis-likes, tastes, looks, challenges...
ReplyDelete