We met. We fell in love. We married. We had a baby girl. We had another baby girl. Story short ... this is where we are.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Genius



Have you ever had one of those .... "wow, that's genius ... wish I knew that a long time ago" moments?  Sometimes I have those moments ... something hits me and I say, "Genius!"  Sometimes people will share something with me and I say, "Genius!"

For example, it wasn't until JJ was 5 and I was in the store with my friend that she pointed out that I could simply pull the front of the cart out and JJ could climb in.  Seriously!  I NEVER thought of that.  All the times I struggled to get her in and it could have been that simple!  Genius!


Then there is less obvious stuff like adding cottage cheese to your skeds.  The kids don't know it's there and for some reason the sauce doesn't stain their clothes/faces as much ... and added nutrients they don't get in their regular diet.  Simple.  Or using washed out playdoh containers to put snacks in their lunch.  Simple. Or typing the girls "stories" right on the computer instead of writing it in their journal and then typing it out later.  Seriously a lot easier and I just thought of this a little while ago.  I don't think it's that I'm "unsmart" ... it's just that it never dawned on me before.  Or as I would say as a child, "donged on me".


Simple little tricks ... stuff I wish I had known for a long time and can't believe I never thought of before.  

Know what you can do when your daughter's pants are too short?  Sew lace on the bottom of the legs.  Super easy, super cute and super economical.  Did you know that if you put a pack of wipes in every room you have a pack of wipes in every room!  Genius.   Or that if you keep "just in case" clothes and accessories in the car you don't have to carry stuff around and you're always prepared.


Here's my favorite.  After weeks of my friend telling me about price matching it finally hit me!  I can go through the flyers, write on the top what I want at that sale price and do all my shopping at one place! No more running around to hit the door crashers.  Simple.  Genius.

If you put soap and water in a spray bottle, your child will clean your entire house and be convinced you are a fun mom.   Put some cider vinegar in a cup with a few drops of dish soap and your fruit flies will be gone in one day.   You can substitute half your oil in a recipe with unsweetened applesauce.  Rinsing with peroxide is safe and really helps when your gums hurt or feel "full".  And in my case, if you say something is Chinese, JJ will eat it.  "Yes my dear ... shepherd's pie is Chinese food".  Don't judge, Chinese people eat shepherd's pie too.


And so I invite you to enlighten me.  Tricks to save time, money, energy and sanity.  No trick too simple.  Make me say, "Wow, you're a Genius!"

2 comments:

  1. Here's a collection of things I've heard:

    Squeak-proof your wipers with rubbing alcohol!
    Wipe the wipers with a cloth saturated with rubbing alcohol or ammonia. This one trick can make badly streaking & squeaking wipers change to near perfect silence & clarity.

    Ice-proof your windows with vinegar!
    Frost on it's way? Just fill a spray bottle with three parts vinegar to one part water & spritz it on all your windows at night. In the morning, they'll be clear of icy mess. Vinegar contains acetic acid, which raises the melting point of water---preventing water from freezing!


    Prevent car doors from freezing shut with cooking spray!
    Spritz cooking oil on the rubber seals around car doors & rub it in with a paper towel. The cooking spray prevents water from melting into the rubber.


    Fog-proof your windshield with shaving cream!
    Spray some shaving cream on the inside of your windshield & wipe if off with paper towels. Shaving cream has many of the same ingredients found in commercial defoggers.


    De-ice your lock in seconds with hand sanitizer!
    Just put some hand sanitizer gel on the key & the lock & the problems solved!

    You can get a bottle of 3% peroxide for under $1.00. It can be used for the following:
    1. Canker sores, and your teeth whitening-
    Take one capful and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out.

    2. Letting your toothbrushes soak in a cup of peroxide to keep them free of germs.

    3. Cleaning your counters and table tops with peroxide to kill germs and leaving a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe down your countertops, or spray it on the counters directly.

    4. Rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

    5. Soaking any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes several times a day will likely heal it.

    6. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold, plugged sinus. It will bubble and help to
    kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes, and then blow your nose into a tissue.

    7. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for ten
    minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

    8. Put half a bottle of peroxide into your bathwater to help rid boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

    9. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour it directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

    10. Cleaning mirrors. There is no smearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One we've used many times... Use freezies to cool down hot drinks or soups for the kids. Cools it off fast without watering it down, and we just wash them and return them to the freezer when done.

    You can get baby food apple sauce and such in little containers with lids that are a great size for snacks in kids' lunches and they seal up pretty well too.

    A note about the vinegar on the windshield mentioned above: Acids corrode metal, so I would be worried about the metal parts near the windshield getting corroded faster.

    ReplyDelete