In most things in life there are leaders and there are followers. By leaders, I'm not just talking about leaders of a country or the "big boss". I'm talking about doctors, teachers, pastors, parents ... Now patients and students aren't really "followers" I guess, but they do look up to those in leadership positions.
Here's my rant ... it's such an awesome task to be a leader. I look at "rate your Doctor" online and I hear so many bad things written about doctors. I hear people talk about how bad a teacher is or how someone in leadership could do a better job. I tell you there are some people out there that are doing a pretty crappy job. But you know what else? What an incredible responsibility! I have been in leadership and sometimes I liked it ... a lot. Sometimes I hated it! There is so much accountability and openess to be judged. Because someone is in a public eye they are free range to pass judgement on.
Nothing in particular has set off this little rant ... it's something I've been thinking about for awhile. I tell you, I would not want to be a Dr. Knowing you are making decisions that affect so many lives in such a huge way. Of course, being a Dr was not my calling in life. I think about teachers ... Parents can pass judgement at any time. I remember being a leader of a camp and HATING when I had to call a parent back. It was my responsibility to know what was going on and to answer for myself and everyone else.
Accountability is good .. we should always be striving to do our best, accept constructive critism and be proud of the decisions we make. I guess my heart just reaches out to people who put themselves in a place where they often wear a bull's eye on their chest. I suppose they know what they are getting into when they signed up.
For those who are doing their best to make a difference in other people's lives ... police officers, teachers, medical staff, politcal leaders, principal's, pastors, management teams .... thank you.
LOL
ReplyDelete