We met. We fell in love. We married. We had a baby girl. We had another baby girl. Story short ... this is where we are.

Friday, May 18, 2012

No Pressure!

The other day I was working out ... well, not so much "working out" as trying desperately to look as cool as the "biggest losers" as I held onto every one of Bob's words of encouragement.  He's totally talking to me when he looks into the camera, right?  I'm not sure which I like more ... Bobercising or my Nordic Track ... maybe it's not which I like more, but which I loathe less. Dr. T definitely feels the bike is best ... and so it often wins out.  The guy is a genius so I'm thinking he might know a little ... well, maybe.  That's when Matthew stepped in.  As I was fake punching the walls with the best of them, he brought something to my attention.

"You're Dr. T's only patient with Miyoshi, right?

Ummm ... I'm kind of busy here, but ya.

Matthew went on to explain to me that if I'm his only patient and he's sort of the "Big wig" at Mac then how does he know what's going to happen to me.  We got thinking ... now, that's not always a good thing for Matthew and I to do simultaneously, but we did.  Perhaps the Dr. doesn't tell me my future because he's watching me to see what happens.  Matthew pointed out that I might be setting the bar for any future patients he deals with down the road.  I know he has spoken about me at conferences, but I have never thought that much about it.  Ya, so ... no pressure, eh?  In 10 years, a young lady might be coming to him with the same symptoms ... she might be asking all the same questions I'm battling with right now. When will I be in a wheelchair?  Does all this "physio" really make a difference?  How fast does this happen?  Why bother?  What do people see when they see me? *deep sigh* ... I guess it has to be worth something.  Dr. T emailed me a few weeks ago and reminded me of where I would be if I gave up. 

 Where would I be?  I'm not really willing to find out ...


And so I'm off to see him in a week.  Hoping I'm living up to the bar.  Not sure who set the bar.  I never seem to be able to get there, but I won't stop reaching.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Lisa. Here's a thought of mine:
    I think we are the ones that set the bar. We have some kind of internal drive that automatically gets set, usually too high or too low. As an over-achiever, I usually end up setting the bar too high and as a result, have difficulty living up to the bar. I usually have to check myself to develop a balance. This usually involves re-programming my thinking and instead of trying to live up to everyone else's idea of best, I need to reflect on what is my best. And that's my new bar-just doing my best. I think "No Pressure' is a great title because that's the freedom we need to be able to give ourselves. No pressure. We do our best and leave the rest to God. In the end, that's all we can do. So just do your best, be proud of that achievement and say to yourself, "Today, I made the bar!" Some days, we'll make the bar, some we won't. But tomorrow is always a new day.

    Our balance thought for the day:

    No Pressure! ;)

    ReplyDelete