No, I am not referring to that adorable "pouch" mommies are left with after having kids. You know, the one that has all the little white lines on it from being stretched to abnormal proportions. I'm referring to the gut that is a little deeper in ... the mommy gut.
I've only been a parent for about 4.7 years so I'm not an expert, but I have learned one thing ... you may be left with a little pouch, but you also get the mommy gut. I've seen it with lots of parents. It's just something that comes along with parentood.
What is mommy gut? It's an extra sense you get when you become a mommy. It can pick up small things and it can pick up big things that other people don't normally pick up. For example I could be in bed and yell out to Matthew that one of the girls had a foul diaper. He'd be confused about how I knew ..... it had nothing to do with smell since there would be two closed doors between us. I'd tell him I just knew. After being right so many times he'd learned to trust my mommy gut .... "How did you know?!?!"
Perhaps it's just from knowing your children so well or that you spend so much time with them, but I like to think it's a special gift God gives mommies to make up for childbirth ... lol.
It can also be found in bigger things. I think I was worried about Autism before Tee was even born. I started saying something to Matthew and my family when Tee was very young. It was a gut feeling that she was ASD ... even in infancy. I remember taking her to our nurse and being worried about it. She said she was not autistic and I became relieved for awhile ... until several Dr.s picked it up and kept sending us to new specialists. As her personality developed more and more people started to see it.
Again, this could just be from spending so much time with her, but I think the gut feeling came before there was any way of knowing ... I'm not saying mommies have all the answers. I definately take the advice of professionals because I do NOT claim to be a professional, but I do think that moms have an intuition a lot of times.
My intuition tells me it time to get up and feed JJ some breakfast ... or maybe that's because she just woke up and I hear her poking around the kitchen ... he he.
I totally agree with the mommy gut thing. I am the same way with diapers. lol. Also, if one of my kids stir in the night,there is a good chance i know if we can leave them, or need to tend to them, or need to bring them to the potty, etc. My husband never picks up on it. lol.
ReplyDeleteLove this! And I totally agree- we need this extra sense so we know when our kids are scaling the kitchen cabinetry :)
ReplyDelete