Miracles are more than just the topic of a classic song from 1975. "I believe in miracles. Where you from? You sexy thing". Catchy tune, but not where I'm going with this. Miracles are events attributed to divine intervention. I guess that means anything that only God could pull off. I know we use the term really broadly. "It's a miracle I made it through that traffic" ... or the birth of a baby is often described as their own miracle.
You can read about miracles in the Bible ... things that Jesus did that awed people. Turning water into wine .... the loaves of bread and the fishies. This post isn't going to give you a bold opinion. It's merely an exploration of the topic.
I haven't thought too much about miracles. I believe they happen, but they don't seem to be so "in your face". I tend to live my life with faith as I see God's blessings over us. I feel like there has been someone watching over us. Nothing overly dramatic ... just a feeling of peace and seeing things fall into place when we look back over good and bad times. I've prayed and I've seen prayers answered. Not quite as bold as seeing a blind man healed before me. Do miracles like that still happen today? Can God really do the impossible?
I really believe that He can. Then why don't I ask him to? I'm not so naive as to believe that I know what would be best for me or anyone else, but I do believe that God listens to our prayers. I've always thought that you should ask God things and wait to see what he thinks is best. Should I have more faith behind my prayers? Should I pray believing He WILL do what I ask him or should I pray believing He CAN do what I ask him? I look back on certain situations where I prayed ... jobs, relationships, houses, babies ... and boy am I glad my prayers weren't answered the way I wanted it to be. I could have ended up in some crappy situations if I had gotten my way at the time. But what about bolder things??? What about miracles? Does God still do straight out miracles? Does God just do a miracle or do you have to ask for it?
You may be wondering where this is all coming from. It's just something I have been thinking about ... a shift in my thought process I guess you could say. It was new to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment