My friend Sarah and I have vivid imaginations. We seem to be able to scare ourselves for no known reason. I'm sure we've scared our husbands too. We got ourselves so worked up once about something that when we peeked out the window we both actually screamed when we saw the moon. Horror movies are 4 times scarier if we watch them together. Scream was awesome .... a picture fell off the wall during the movie and we crept over to open the main door so we'd have a place to run after we bravely (by bravely I mean huddled together like school girls) checked the bedroom where the picture fell. We were troopers that night.
We also loved to make up stories and do skits for the Sundayschool kids. We may have actually convinced ourselves that we were in Nineveh with Jonah. Okay, before you think we've lost touch with reality, we are not crazy. We just have vivid imaginations. Our poor friend Karen could not understand how we could "see" things in our heads. Karen will openly admit that she lacks imagination. Karen is a very intellectual and practical person. Sarah and I are more visual and probably more emotionally charged. We are all different, but equally cool.
Now here's the weird part. Sarah and I associate everything with a colour in our heads. I didn't realize I did this until I was in my 20's. The even weirder part is that Sarah has the same colour associations as me. For example, Sarah's husband suggested we name the new red van "Carol". Our first response was that you can't do that because Carol is something you name a yellow car. Does anyone else do this?????? We have tried to figure out why this happens. We grew up in the same area and wondered if it was part of our curriculum. To help us understand, please take this little test below. I'm going to give you 5 words. Before you see anyone else's answer or think too hard, write down the first colour you think of.
1) The letter T
2) Wednesday
3) Sofa
4) Canada
5) Adelle
I'm so curious!! Ask your spouses too!

Thanks for the memories Lisa. I feel so special to be part of your blog. Too fun! I was just telling someone about our Jonah skit last night. Oh how I miss our Sunday School team. What a blast!
ReplyDeleteHere are my answers:
Orange
Blue
off-white or Red
Red (Red because of the flag association-but the word canada also has a yellowness to it. Probably because of the "C" - like in Carol)
Pink or Red
P.S. Adelle is still bothering me. I think it has a pattern to it in my head. White background with red flowers or pink and some greenery.
ReplyDeleteLOL Sar. That's some pretty fancy work your brain is doing for Adelle.
ReplyDeleteMine were:
ReplyDeleteGreen
Orange
Yellow
Red
Blue
There's a name for people who do see colour associated with words and objects, I think it's synesthesia, but I could be wrong. For me it's gender. Every letter and number has a gender and personality.
Do we get to know your answers?
Well, mine is actually very close to Sarah's
ReplyDeleteOrange
Blue
Red
Yellow
Red.
Thank you so much Jennie for enlightening me. I read up a bit on it. Very interesting. Here I thought I was just nuts.