Well folks. I am 32. Not sure if I have any great wisdom to impart on you in my old age. I have learned that if you are gassy, working out is really helpful and that one can have grey hair and acne at the same time. Probably not words to live by.
When a birthday comes around there are two things that I have learned
1) Make it a goal that the birthday person feels loved by the end of the day .. whatever works for that person.
2) The birthday person shares and reflects on the highlight of that year.
#1 was a success for me this year. I certainly felt loved. I got some lovely gifts from my mom that certainly reflect my personality. I got two cakes ... not chocolate cakes with frosting with my name on top. I got Lisa cakes. I got a candy cake and a chocolate bar cake. Two important people in my life thought, "what would Lisa like?". I also got this super cool book
I don't feel loved because Matthew went out and bought me a present. I feel loved because Matthew listened to me talk about cities, architecture and maps for hours and thought I would like this book even though it had never crossed my mind before. I also feel loved because of a special little note I got. JJ handed me a picture covered in hearts with 100 written on the top. She said it's because "I love you 100". Now that in itself is so sweet, but it was so sweet to me because it's something I say to Matthew. There is a little person who copies me and was able to put into a picture, words that she has heard before. It was so endearing. I'm a so lucky to have a daughter who shares a piece of my heart. And then there's Tee. I can't help but love her solely on the fact that she sounds like a fax machine half the time. All she has to do is be herself and I feel the love and blessing pour over our house.
Want to talk about feeling loved?
Waking up to all these faces holding pictures with birthday messages. It would put a smile on a constipated polar bear with fleas. I am not constipated. Nor do I have fleas so you can imagine the smile on my face. Thanks to everyone who took part.
Well, that takes care of #1.
#2 Reflections over the past year ....
In my old age I seem to have forgotten this past year. My calendar says the year did happen.
*Tee starting daycare. That opened a world of possibilities for Tee and myself.
*Having a 5 year old. JJ has really grown this year and it's really fun watching her discover things.
*Volunteering in room 19. It feels so good to be part of something again.
*Walking with Matthew and getting caught in the rain. I couldn't run so we walked together ... one of us was screaming. It was the perfect picture of Ohana.
I'll take my rose coloured goggles off for a second.
*Tee's diagnosis was pretty huge. Changed our whole family dynamic and opened a whole world of new fears and challenges.
*I went through a season of personal challenges as I tried to figure out my life and faith
We still struggle as we try to define our family and faith, but the "hope" side is certainly winning now. This is our time and this is our dance. Now if you have seen us dance you may worry about us ... but don't worry. We still have fun doing it.
Thanks for being part of my life.

The birthday person should feel loved by the end of the day... that is so an us thing form college that I still try to live by till this day. I am glad you felt loved Lisa. I might be far away, but I love and miss you a lot.
ReplyDeleteLisa,
ReplyDeleteAlison sent this blog of yours onto me via email. That WAS a great birthday! I like your thoughts about personalizing someone's gift, centering around what excites or inspires him or her.
Brian