We met. We fell in love. We married. We had a baby girl. We had another baby girl. Story short ... this is where we are.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Creative outlets

I am continuously learning about people and being a person myself, I am continuously learning about myself.  Did that sentance make sense?  Anyways, One thing I've been learning is that people need an outlet for expressing themselves.  Some people stand out in a crowd because they're outlet is really good.  Like my sister ... she's a really good piano player and plays at church all the time. For myself, I think God gave me kids because my outlets certainly are geared towards little girls.  Hmm ... or maybe it's because I have little girls.  Well, you definately won't be seeing me playing the piano at church any time soon.

For some people their outlet could be sports, music, writing, art ... the list is endless.  So, what is my outlet?  Well, I don't think any one thing stands out except that I like to create.

I didn't really know that about myself until recently.  I should have figured it out earlier since I often tell Matthew that I NEED to create something.  I almost didn't care what it was.  I just needed to put my soul into something.  When I was a kid I loved crafts.  I remember making my mom a card and being so upset because it fell into the soapy kitchen sink.  I thought it was ruined, but my mom pulled it out and said it was alright.  Wow, did JJ sure get this from me.  She creates non-stop!  I also remember my mom was sick when I was about 7.  I had to leave because I was a flowergirl in a wedding and had to go to a fitting with all the grown ups.  I didn't want to leave my mom and she convinced me to go by telling me that when I got back we could construct a nurse's hat for me to wear.  I was very happy about that. Hmmm ... wonder why I never did become a nurse?  Apparently, creating has been an outlet for me for a long time.

I wouldn't say that anything I make is exceptionally good.  It is certainly fun and fills something inside me.  I made these dresses this weekend and I told Mattthew that I wasn't very excited about them, but that I was more excited that I made them.  If I had bought them at the store it wouldn't be that thrilling, but designing a dress and just figuring it out on my own was exciting!  Who knows if they'll wear them much, but I sure had an experience making them. 

3 comments:

  1. I would wear those dresses, Will you make me one too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dresses will be great on those hot summer days! I really like them!
    I'm just like you, I didn't know that I was "creative" until recently. I am shocked at how I just yearn to sit at my sewing machine every day! And it's such a great feeling of accomplishment when I look at my finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome dresses! They'll be all the rage! Woo hoo! Keep up the creating. You come up with some great stuff, Lio!

    ReplyDelete