We met. We fell in love. We married. We had a baby girl. We had another baby girl. Story short ... this is where we are.

Monday, August 29, 2011

What do you think Mommies and Daddies?

With JJ being home for the summer I've been thinking about something.  I'd love to hear your input on the topic.  How much time should we spend "playing" with our kids?  I ask this because so often I feel guilty if I am not playing with the kids and doing what they want.

We usually spend our mornings exercising, cleaning, cooking and going on walks.  I sometimes feel bad that I am not on the floor playing what they want, putting them in a program or making a super awesome craft.   There certainly is time for that in the day, but I have been thinking about that.  Maybe that's a good thing.  I don't know.

Growing up,  I don't remember my parents spending their days 'playing' with me.  They certainly were around a lot.  My Dad was often working on the farm and my mom was always busy with something.  We often played on the farm or were part of what my parents were doing.   Why do I feel such a need to entertain my children?  I don't think I should feel bad if JJ spends the morning doing chores with me.  How else is she going to learn how to do laundry, clean the house or cook meals?  We actually have a pretty good time doing it and we get the opportunity to talk while we do it. She's getting to an age where she asks lots of questions about what I am doing.   I totally understand that part of this is being home with the kids.  If I was away from the kids all day and I only had a bit of time with them I wouldn't want to spend that time folding laundry.  But stuff does have to get done!

Before I hear back from anyone I probably already know the answer.  It's probably about balance.  Letting your kids experience work and chores, but also having time to play with us, other friends and on their own.  I can't run a camp all day and all summer. 

This being said, in a little over a weak my life is going to change.  JJ will be in school and Tee will be in her program in the morning.  I have spent the last 5 years and 2 months as a stay at home mom.  My life has literally revolved around taking care of these girls and I have involved very little in my life outside of that circle.  I know I still have Tee in the afternoons and there is so much to do around the house in the mornings, but I feel like a season is done.   I am rather excited about it and pleased that I have been able to physically do this.  The last little while has been hard, but I know that things are coming together.  I still have so much to invest into those two little girls, but it's time to open their world outside of mommy.

I can't wait to have the energy to do new and exciting things and meet them after school with homemade treats and be fresh to hear all about their day!  Maybe even have a clean house for a couple hours a day???

No comments:

Post a Comment