I've been researching and have found out that her room really isn't suitable for her .... I like making things girlie and pretty and as much as I like to do what I think would be nice ... I have to look at what's best for her. So, .... I get to redecorate!! One of the joys within the craziness of this past month.
So, how do you decorate a room for an Autistic child? I'm becoming somewhat of an expert in this area. Tee can't tell us what she wants so there is a bit of my input in it .... but I think she's going to love it!
- Take down those big balls over her crib! Too much distraction and stimuli.
- Take down all the nick nacs I have made her
- Put toys in containers so they can be out of sight, but don't have a lid on it. Any suggestions on where to get something like this would be appreciated. Wish Papa was still alive to make her something special like he did for me. No lid for easy access and no little bodies trapped inside boxes.
- Have nice thick carpet. Check! Yes. We got one right! Okay, the previous owners got one right.
- Paint colours in a soothing/relaxing colour. It's suggested to paint them in the colour of their security blanket. That would make the wall a VERY bright pink. Perhaps a softer pink would work. Thinking about a nice green too.
- Create a "calming corner". We are doing this by purchasing her a soft foam bean bag chair. Can hardly wait for it to arrive.
- Oil the door hinges. They are too loud. Especially if you check on them a lot at night .. yes, that would be us.
- Thick curtains to make it dark ... perhaps she just inherited this from her vampire like mother
Now the question is .... can I redecorate just one girl's room? That just wouldn't be fair. Perhaps there's some new colours coming JJ's way too.??

I painted Micah's room awhile back, but still have not painted Alyssa's room...I fully intend on doing it, just haven't had the time or funds...but just like you, I feel bad that one child's room is redecorated, and one isn't. She hasn't complained yet though. lol.
ReplyDeleteThe room looks really great right now... I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
ReplyDelete